Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Watching TV

I know it sounds so silly, but one of my favorite things to do is watch television. This week my husband was out of town for a job interview. This gives me a lot of time to watch TV- whatever I want to watch. Justin typically controls the TV. :)

Photo from www.fanpop.com

I watched one of my favorite shows, Psych, most of the weekend. I love watching mystery type shows, and Psych is that plus comedy. Even though I'd already seen all of the episode that I watched, I still really enjoyed watching it.

I wonder if most people would consider watching television as play. I do- it allows me to relax, and I truly enjoy it. For me, I guess play is about enjoyment- if I enjoy what I'm doing, it seems like play to me.

I wonder what Sutton-Smith would say. I'm not sure, but I think he would agree that since I define this as play it is. Furthermore, reading the chapter about self, Sutton-Smith wrote, "Freedom has become not just the freedom from work but also the freedom to be a conspicuous consumer, and to participate in the material riches of consumer civilization." (Sutton-Smith, p. 178). In some way I think I am experiencing that freedom when I can take out my Psych DVD, put it in my DVD player, and sit back and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I adore Psych! I think it's the banter between Gus and Sean that makes me crack up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, for me, it's Castle. I love wondering about the possible romance between Castle and Kate! And I too, am a mystery nut! I think if this isn't play, it should be.

    ReplyDelete